The main difference between OTG vs Convection oven is the heating methods, OTG uses electric coils to heat the food, whereas convection ovens use electromagnetic waves. The OTG can take up to 15-20 minutes to heat the food, while a convection oven takes 5 minutes.
- What is an OTG?
- What is a Convection Oven?
- Difference between OTG and Convection Oven
What is an OTG?
These are initials standing for Oven, Toast and Grill. An OTG is a reduced version of the old-fashioned oven. The item uses heated coils to cook foods and needs less setting up. It has an in-built bimetallic strip that helps regulate temperature, warranting the meals are heated or cooked properly.
Advantages and Disadvantages of OTG
Advantages of OTG
- It is light making it portable
- It is budget-friendly. Many people can afford it.
- It is a three-in-one item. It has an oven, toast and grill.
- It is tuned to metal utensils
- It is convenient for baking
- It is healthy and environmentally friendly
- It is easy to clean and maintain
Disadvantages of OTG
- It is time-consuming since it uses coils which require time to heat
- The heat is unevenly distributed
- It cannot defrost or reheat food and other items
- It does not have auto-cook functionality
Best OTG Ovens in India – Find out by clicking here
What is a Convection Oven?
A convection oven is an improved version of the regular microwave with more sophisticated features in addition to boiling and reheating. As its name implies, this device uses microwaves to heat and cook your foods. It uses dielectric heating to generate thermal power convenient for heating or defrosting items.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Convection Oven
Advantages of a Convection Oven
- A convection oven is time-saving
- It has a timer, so it does not overcook or overheat the foods
- It does not consume much space in the kitchen
- It is easy to use since it is automatic
- It can also be used to defrost frozen items
- All food nutrients are preserved in the food since the item does not overcook.
- Convenient for baking
Disadvantages of a Convection Oven
- It is not suitable for particular functions like making roti, chapattis or deep frying.
- According to studies, it uses microwaves that are believed to cause cancer and weaken the immune system.
- It changes the texture of foods compared to using the stove
- It dehydrates the foods
- The foods are not evenly cooked or heated
- It emits dangerous radiations which are not suitable for human health
Difference between OTG and Convection Oven
Though these two modern cooking devices almost have a similar function, they have many differences that give an advantage over the other. The table below outlines their differences.
|Heating||It uses two electric coils||Uses electromagnetic waves that make meal particles waver|
|Distribution of heat||Not evenly distributed||Though not evenly distributed, it is much even than in OTG|
|Time Consumption||Consumes much time||It consumes less time to both cook and reheats|
|Power consumption||Consumes much power||Require less power to function|
|Cost||More affordable||More costly|
|Container options||Metal, ceramic, silicone or glass||Glass, ceramic or silicone|
|Weight||Light. One can move with it more often.||Heavy. Hard to move with often|
|Perfect for||Toasting, baking and grilling||Simple baking, defrosting and reheating|
|Cleaning||A bit complicated due to various parts like the grid||Easy to clean|
OTG vs Convection Microwave Power Consumption
This is the most significant difference between the appliances. Generally, an OTG consumes more power than a convection microwave when functioning. An OTG has two coils at the top and bottom, which must be heated to pass the heat to foods. Heating the coils takes time and requires more power.
On the other hand, a convection microwave uses electromagnetic energy to heat the food and does that from inside the food, meaning there is no energy loss in the process. This makes the process faster and easier, which reduces power consumption.
Which is a healthy OTG or microwave?
According to studies, microwaves emit harmful waves that are not good for human health, so OTG is better health-wise.
Which is better for pizza, OTG or microwave?
An OTG can be better for pizza due to its large capacity and upper and lower coils make the cooking better.
Which is better for cake, OTG or microwave?
In terms of baking anything, including a cake, an OTG remains the best option.
Which is better, OTG or convection microwave?
The best appliance between the two depends on the primary purpose. They are both efficient in their respective functionalities, but a microwave is better for low power consumption. Otherwise, the decision remains solely in your hands, depending on the primary purpose of buying the appliance.
Conclusion: Which is better between OTG and Convection Microwave?
It is pretty hard to tell which is better between the two appliances because they are both perfect in their different functionalities. Therefore, it depends on the primary reason you want to buy.
If you want an appliance for baking, grilling or toasting, OTG proves to be better. But if you wish for an appliance for baking, reheating and defrosting items, the convection microwave is the stand out option.
Kumar, a mechanical engineer by trade, is very curious about the newest and most cutting-edge kitchen and home gadgets. He devotes his time to researching the greatest items and disseminating his findings via his in-depth product reviews and thorough purchase guides.